COGx & Yale
Schooling as if Learning Mattered -
Overcoming the Impact of COVID-19 to Modernize Teaching & Learning
October 7th 5:00-6:30pm EST
COGx & Yale: Schooling As if Learning Mattered II
Join an esteemed panel of experts in education as they discuss traditional schooling and how to modernize it for the 21st century. In the discussion, moderated by Javier Arguello (COGx Founder and Yale SOM ’03), panelists will speak to the following questions and reserve time for audience Q&A at the end of the session. More info on the session and panelists is included below.
Challenges with Traditional Schooling – Exacerbated by the Pandemic:
- The way students think they learn differs greatly from how they learn and as a result, they rely on ineffective strategies to learn. The current approach to teaching is often disconnected from how students learn and causes too many students to drop-out, struggle, and/or work too hard to do well.
- Schooling decreases creativity and student engagement.
- Conditions of instruction that make performance improve rapidly often fail to support deep learning and transfer. Whereas conditions of instruction that appear to create difficulties for the learner, slowing the rate of apparent learning, often optimize deeper learning and transfer. This is known as the Schooling Conundrum.
- The pandemic has magnified the challenges that already existed, creating greater inequality and more students at risk of failing, particularly those who are transitioning to College.
Science of Learning to Modernize Schooling – Discussion Points:
- What is the impact of COVID on learning and what are the future challenges that will affect learners?
- What are the opportunities of Online Learning? How can we improve delivery, promote digital inclusion, and embrace its potential without sacrificing social-emotional needs?
- What skills do colleges require for students to succeed that are still lacking and how can we better prepare all students to succeed in college, particularly those at greater risk?
- Workforce training and education: closing the skills gap.
- How can schools better address the adverse effects of COVID-19 on their students and educators,
namely: learning loss, engagement, equity, and trauma.
- Returning to the status quo is not possible post-COVID-19. Why and how can we leverage the crisis to modernize teaching and learning?
- College Readiness. Facts, trends and solutions (students unprepared to succeed in a system that is unequipped to breed success)