COGx & Yale
Schooling as if Learning Mattered: Addressing Learning Loss & Inequity through the Science of Learning
May 19, 2021 | 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM EDT
May 19, 2021
5:00 PM to 6:30 PM EDT
(This event has passed)
Join an esteemed panel of experts in education as they discuss traditional schooling and how to modernize it for the 21st century. In the discussion, moderated by Javier Arguello (COGx Founder and Yale SOM ’03), panelists will speak to the following questions and reserve time for audience Q&A at the end of the session. More info on the session and panelists is included below.
Challenges with Traditional Schooling:
- The way students think they learn differs greatly from how they learn and as a result they rely on ineffective strategies to learn.
- The current approach to teaching is often disconnected from how students learn and causes too many students to drop-out, struggle, and/or work too hard to do well.
- Schooling decreases creativity and student engagement.
- We produce a surplus of graduates with a deficit of skills that the economy demands.
Science of Learning to Modernize Schooling:
- Top performing schools embrace the science of learning. In this virtual symposium, you will learn from renowned experts on human learning as well as school leaders to address the following questions:
- Why are schooling and learning not synonymous terms?
- What is learning success? How can teachers foster learning success?
- What is the science of learning, and how can it help us modernize our educational system?
- Why is research on human learning often trapped in academia?
- How does adversity and trauma affect learning and how prevalent is the effect?
- How have successful school leaders transformed their culture and learning outcomes by incorporating learning science?